Friday, September 2, 2011

Yeah, so it's been a while.

Started a new class and as I was showing them the blog set up I realized it has been 2 months since I said something here and since I know you have all been sitting there waiting with baited breath I decided it was time to get on it and start taking this thing a little more seriously (kind of like I expect the students to do).  I hate the old "Do as I say, not as I do, " so I need to do better and lead by example.

Enough of that, since this is about light, what say we talk about light.  It's 7:35pm, I am sitting in my office (yes, on a Friday night I am still at work) trying to get stuff done while it is quiet so I don't have to come to work on Tuesday, and it's dark outside.  Well, not totally can't see what's going on dark, but late dusk almost night type of dark.  Where did summer go?  It seems like only yesterday the days were getting longer and here we are back to fewer hours of daylight.  Anyway, what's the point of this observation?  I actually had to turn the floor lamp in my office on because the desk light is just not cutting it.  Really hard to grade things when you can't see what it is you're reading.

My floor lamp is one of those inverted halogen lamps, all of the light that it emits is projected upwards so the light that is distributed around the room is indirect bounce light, my favorite kind of light.  My office right now has a warm friendly glow to it, much nicer than if I had to turn on the nasty fluorescent overhead lights.  This lighting scheme is very calming and makes grading that much easier.  So that's my lighting tip for the day, bounce light!

2 comments:

  1. Does commenting on your blog count? :D

    So you have an inverted halogen lamp? Is that similar to the kind of lamps used for car headlights but much less powerful or do you have some intense light going on in your room right now? Haha.

    I took your advice and pointed my fluorescent (I know, nasty) floor lamp to the ceiling. It does give a nice glow to the room and it's not as blinding to stare at.

    ReplyDelete